10.19.2009

My Broadway Review

1) In the Heights
This show lived up to the hype. I love the latin/broadway fusion of the music. The dancing was amazing, especially Will (from SYTYCD) as Graffiti Pete. I fell in love with the characters, i laughed, i cried. What more do you want from a show?

2) West Side Story

Had front row balcony tickets. I've never seen dancing like that. The direction seemed focused more on the staging and dancing (which was amazing) than music and characters. It was a spectacle of dance. Tony wasn't my favorite, Anita was. I usually cry in this show, but I didn't care about the characters this time.

3) Hamlet

I've never been a big Shakespeare guy, but how could we pass up $25 tickets to see Jude Law as Hamlet? He was riveting. The whole cast, really, was incredible. Claudius as played bye Kevin McNally, who plays the old Pirate with the big gray sideburns in the Pirates movies. Got to shake his hand after the show. Very nice guy.

The story was easy to follow. LOVED the stark stage, the lighting, sound, and acting more than made up for the bare staging. Actors didn't have mics - they didn't need them. I loved that.

4) Ordinary Days

This was a very cool experience. Adam Gwon (www.adamgwon.com) wrote the music, and I think, the book - which was small. The black box theater was tiny - only about 5 rows of 10 seats. I was on the front row, inches away from the cast as they sang their hearts out. The story is simple: four people in NY whose lives intertwine in small and big ways. Felt very Jason Robert Brown-ish. I really, really liked it. Got to meet the writer and all 4 actors after the show.

There is NOTHING like Broadway.


No comments: