11.07.2008

Livin the life of a country rockstar!

So this week I had two concerts which was kind of a lot. I played for about 10 hours within two days and my body didn't handle it too well. But, it was totally worth all the pain!

On Thursday night the UVU symphony got to back up Michael Martin Murphy in concert. For those of you who don't know him, he is an old cowboy that is famous for his awesome country songs. The event took place up in Heber for the Cowboy Poetry Festival that has been going on all week long and I was so excited to go. I had listened to his songs as a little girl with my favorite person, Grandpa Jay. I couldn't wait to actually be a part of Michael Martin Murphy's show!

When we got up to the high school there were cowboys and cowgirls everywhere. It was so cool! Real cowboys and cowgirls, I couldn't believe it. I totally love them and wish I was a cowgirl most days. Anyway...we went straight into rehearsal to do sound checks and all of that fun stuff. When Mr. Murphy walked in I was freaking out. He is the coolest old cowboy I have ever seen. He had an awesome jacket on that had fringe with a faded cowboy hat and a purple handkerchief wrapped around his neck. His cowboy boots even had spurs on them!

He started singing Yellow Rose in Texas, Geronimo's Cadillac, Happy Trails, and so many more awesome country songs. I was so happy because I know my Grandpa Jay was there in spirit. My friend Kelsey and I wanted to take a picture with Michael Martin Murphy just to prove we played with him. When rehearsal ended he started leaving backstage, but I wasn't letting him get away. I wanted that picture! I chased after him and think I scared him when I asked if I could get a picture. He was in a dark corner and didn't see me ;)Despite the scare he was more than happy to take a picture with the two of us. Sadly I didn't have my camera and I have yet to get the picture from Kelsey. I will post it as soon as I get it though.

I started talking to Mr. Murphy about Grandpa Jay and how much he loved cowboy music and poetry. I told him I bet my grandpa would be there in spirit. Well then we went to the barbecue dinner and on my way to the table I ran into my aunt Linda and Grandma Beth! Talk about a little miracle. I got to sit there and tell my grandma all about meeting Michael and how I told him about grandpa. She was so surprised and thought that it was just amazing I met Michael. I was so glad to see her and couldn't even believe they were there when I was.

After I had calmed down for a while it was show time. The auditorium was completely packed and the crowd rowdy. I was so ready for the show of my life. When he started singing the people just screamed so loud and clapped and cheered. I couldn't believe it. I have never have and never will play for a crowd like that again. Man! It really made me wish I was a cowgirl in a band out on the road playing for crowds like that every night. He totally highlighted who we are and said he was so proud of kids that had dedication like we did. I was feeling pretty cool.

When the concert was said and done I was completely happy. There was such a rush that came with an audience that cared about what you were doing. They just loved us and it was so great! That night I got a glimpse of what it would be like playing for crowds and living the life of a performer. Part of me wished I was a great fiddler and could actually do that someday. But, I know that wish won't ever come true. So I'm glad I got my one night of fame as a country rockstar!

2 comments:

The Batty Bunch said...

What an exciting night, back up for Michael Martin Murphy, I am so jealous. I am so glad u got to witness "REAL" cowboys and cowgirls. LOL!!

Jamie said...

What a cool experience! I remember when you were just little little and you started playing the violin and you were so shy and nervous and look how far you have come! You are very talented and I'm greatful for all the memories that your beautiful talent has brought into my life! I miss hearing the music all your family makes! I wish I could have seen it. It sounds awesome! I'm sure you were missing grandpa like crazy! I miss him every day! He had such a huge impact on all of us. He was the greatest person ever!!!